Friday, May 16, 2008

Spring cleaning/Nesting

So I am learning that one of the perks of having a baby due in September is that you can nest and do your spring cleaning at the same time. Today I am tackling the office. The funny thing about our office is that is hasn't been a functional room in our house for quiet some time. I think we stopped using it when Garrett started getting mobile (and I started losing my mind). Part of it is that the computer is a piece of crap in there, and part of it is that the office has become the room I throw Brad's crap in when I don't want to think about it or look at it anymore. Once when he went away I hung all of his Oklahoma State paraphenalia, so I really have considered it HIS space.

However, I've come to the conclusion lately that if I hope to continue to work from home and keep my sanity, I NEED a barrier between Garrett and I. As it stands now, he climbs on the chair I am sitting in to work, he grabs my hand and tries to drag me off so I can play, etc. etc. etc. Not to mention the laptop is constantly floating around the downstairs of the house reminding me exactly HOW much work I have to do. Plus I think it is only a matter of time until something sticky, and ultimately damaging, gets spilled on my computer. Soooo, today I am tackling the office to once again make it a functional work space.

Garrett's "new" room used to be my space, where I had all my craft and Discovery Toys stuff. Its pretty nice to live in a house that is big enough for everyone to have their own space. But now the office is going to become my work space. I figure since I work from home, I do actually need a home office. I want to be able to step out of the office and be able to NOT think about work. I know I need to start setting time apart in the day to just work, so I can spend quality time playing with Garrett when I am not working. Thus, the office. With a gate at the doorway that the dogs are not happy about. And I am sure Garrett won't be happy about it when he wakes up from our nap. With the gate up, Garrett will probably play upstairs, hopefully in front of the door so I know what he is up to!! Hopefully this will help me regain my sanity . . . people look at me like I have two heads when they say "Oh, how nice that you work from home" and I go "Eh, it is and it isn't." Hopefully this will help me find the balance and again find the joy in our situation.

No comments: