Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Swimming Lessons

Garrett is in to his 3rd week of swimming lessons. He seems to be enjoying it, but gets genuinely offended if you ask him to jump in. Its bizarre, because last year at this time he was jumping in the pool ALL THE TIME with the neighbor kids. He says "If I jump, I will just sink!" If I tell him Mr. Camillo (his teacher) will catch him, he says "No, he just won't!" and there is no convincing him otherwise. Other than that, he really enjoys it and is learning how to hold the kick board, float, and a whole bunch of other things. He's already improving, so I'm really glad we signed him up. Its nice for me too, because I can pop Summer in child care for the 45 minutes and either swim or do some work by the pool. I could go inside and work out too, but I love watching to see what they are up to!




Garrett's class

3 comments:

Leanne said...

Haha...funny how kids rationalize huh. Great to hear he is having a good time!

Abyss said...

I think it's the water up the nose thing.... both my girls hate diving. Especially at the age he is now. Last year was the first time Thea didn't refuse to dive/jump- she's had formal lessons since 23 months. We'll see how Ainsleigh does this year! It's her second time around, and she wasn't crazy about it last year....

Lindsay said...

Avery swims pretty well she is now in an advanced class up at the Y (mainly because Sage is in lessons and she wanted to be too). Sage however did fine when she was 2, but last year she started to get a little bit scared and now she won't get in the water at all with Nick or I. So we finally put her in lessons and she is doing great now. I think they don't "know" to be scared when they are 2ish, but as they get older the fear of water seems more real.